Christopher Cavas, writing for the Navy Times website, has posted an article highlighting some budget impacts on individual weapons and platforms (1). Here are the main points.
- Shipbuilding will be almost unaffected.
- JSF - Marine F-35B buys will remain unchanged, however, the Navy's F-35C will be cut from 49 to 20 in the 2015-2018 period.
- P-8A - The Poseidon buy will drop from 56 to 49 in the 2015-2018 period.
- MH-60R - The 2016 buy of 29 helicopters has been eliminated.
- MQ-8C Fire Scout - Eliminated.
- Tomahawk - The Tactical Tomahawk buy of 980 has been reduced to 100 in 2015 and none beyond that.
- Hellfire - The Hellfire missile buy of 1519 has been reduced to zero.
- JSOW - The missile buy has been reduced from 1799 to 400 in the 2015-2018 period.
As I’ve stated repeatedly, the Navy will do anything to protect new ship construction funding.